Assignment 21A – Reading Reflection No. 2
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
The book that I chose to read is "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. The general theme of the book is that we use two parts of our brains while thinking and they can lead to us making mistakes. System one is automatic and uses instinct to make decisions. For example, this system uses the flight or flight instinct that senses immediate danger. System two is more conscious and rational. This is the system we use when we make rational and reasonable decisions. System one is faster than System two. When these two systems try to work together, they cause errors. Since our brain wants to think quickly and not exhaust itself, we tend to make impulsive decisions.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
I think the book has a lot to do with entrepreneurship. In this class, I have learned to think in different ways than I usually think. I have learned how to analyze and find solutions to unmet needs and issues. Similarly to this, the book shows its readers different ways to think and how to make more rational decisions, which is needed when making business decisions. To identify opportunities, we have to use the 2nd part of our brain that analyzes and makes rational decisions.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
Based on "Thinking Fast and Slow", I would choose an exercise that requires you to use both systems of your brain.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
What I found interesting was that there are many ways that your brain can cause conflict and lead you to make bad or irrational decisions. At first, I thought the book would be more philosophical, so it completely differed from my expectations. I ended up liking the book because it has taught me to be more aware of how I think.

Hi Ramar,
ReplyDeleteNice reading reflection! It sounds like this was a pretty good book to pick. I particularly enjoyed what you said surprised you the most. I think it is really cool that the book went in depth on how the brain functions and how it can lead you toward certain decisions. Keep up the good work!
Hi Ramar,
ReplyDeleteI reflected on the same book as you! It was such a great read, I told my family about it and they said they wanted to read it too. I think it is really cool that you chose an exercise that uses both sides of the brain because this is something we don't think of a lot. I might do more research on this.
Thanks for sharing,
Sydney
Hi Ramar,
ReplyDeleteI found your post about this book, "Thinking Fast and Slow," intriguing. I'm dyslexic which also affect short and long term memory, as well as processing the spoken word. I've learned that dyslexia is manifested differently in each individual whose brain is wired this way. I enjoyed the exercise that your created after reading this book. It reminded me of a lot of the exercises I was required to do as part my many hours of tutoring throughout middle, and high school as most of these exercises involved training my brain to focus more intensely and absorb information in a more conscious manner. It takes a lot of practice. Nice post. Best, Emily