Assignment 26A- Celebrating Failure
- Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester and failed each time.
- Once, I took a really hard World History class in college and it proved to be more difficult than expected. I studied the book endlessly and even then, I did not get the desired scores on my test. I started taking better notes from the textbook and making sure I had more exposure to the material that was gone over in lecture. My scores starting improving. Also, I aced a huge report that made up a large percentage of my grade. I ended up getting an A in the class, even though I had a C in the beginning.
- Tell us what you learned from it.
- I learned that if the method you are using does not work on the first try, try again with a different method. It is always good to experiment and find new solutions to a problem that you are having. Everyone has a different learning technique so some methods work better for other people than for you.
- Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?
- We can all learn from failure. For me, I do not take failure very well. I am trying to teach myself that failure is something that is inevitable in life and that we cannot avoid or prevent it. The good thing about failure is that we can always go back and see what we did wrong in order to come upon the solution. Although failure is seen a bad, we would not make innovations or inventions without it.
Hi Ramar,
ReplyDeleteI found your post "Celebrating Failure" very genuine, and insightful. I can relate to your struggle with a difficult class. I've also experienced the anxiety of putting in an immense amount of effort and studying for a class only to "bomb" a (or more than one) test. I agree with your assessment of regrouping and using different tactics to overcome that failure. I also agree that experiencing failure first, builds character and it is sometimes necessary to fail in order to achieve success. Best, Emily
Hi Ramar,
ReplyDeleteWow, that is awesome that you recovered your grade like so--a lot of people probably just would've kept doing the same thing instead of changing their study habits. I don't take failure very well either. I think I do sometimes, but it depends on the situation and magnitude of it. I think it is also smart how you said to try a different method if it doesn't work the first time.
Thanks for sharing,
Sydney