Assignment 20A - Growing Your Social Capital
Domain expert:
1. Who they are, what their background is:
- Laura, works in skin care business
2. How this person is a domain expert:
- Deals with skin care products daily
3. How I contacted this person:
- She is one of my mutual friends.
4. Nature of exchange: what they did for me, what is my return expectation:
- I told her about my product idea and she gave me helpful insight into new trends in skin care.
5. How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
- She thinks that if I design my product wisely, I could exploit this opportunity and create a lot of money from it since many people are looking for natural, harmless products for the face.
Market expert:
1.Who they are, what their background is:
- Cara, a UF student who has a lot of background in skin care products
2.How this person is a domain expert:
- I chose someone who is apart of my market
3.How I contacted this person:
- Phone number, I called her
4.Nature of exchange: what they did for me, what is my return expectation:
- She answered some questions for me about skin care products and ways to market the products effectively.
5.How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
- Since she is in the market for the product, she gives me valuable insight about what I can change and pitched ideas to me.
Industry Supplier:
1.Who they are, what their background is:
- Claude, entrepreneur
2.How this person is a domain expert:
- He sells his skin care products to buyers
3.How I contacted this person:
- Through email, I received the email address from my family.
4.Nature of exchange: what they did for me, what is my return expectation:
- He gave me tips on how to sell skin care products and how to target a young market.
5.How will including them enhance my ability to exploit an opportunity:
- These tips will allow me to sell more products if I decide to make it into a business.
Finally: Reflect. This experience requires you to do a little 'targeted networking.' How will this experience shape how you participate in any future networking events? Did this experience differ from your networking experiences in the past? How?
From now on, I will be more prepared to pitch my business idea to other people. This experience differed from my past networking experiences because I am networking for a specific goal or purpose in mind, rather than it be casual networking. This will help me pay more attention to people when I attend events in the future.
Hi Ramar,
ReplyDeleteAwesome job getting these three different perspectives! I think that all three people can give you some valuable insight in your venture and will definitely increase your network. I agree with you that this type of networking has taught me to pay more attention to those I am trying to network with in order to get better results. Great post!
Hi Ramar,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you got a handful of interviews that align very well with your business and provide some great information for your venture. Since you contacted your people in different ways from phone calls to emails, I would be interested to hear how effective you thought each method was vs. the other. It is smart like you said for all of us to be ready to pitch our business idea, you never know when you wil lbe in front of the right person!
Thanks for sharing,
Sydney
Hi Ramar,
ReplyDeleteYou were able to gather some good insight into how to help grow your social capital. One thing I noticed is you mentioned that your product will be only for the face? Why limit it to the face? Do you think you product would also treat back and/or chest acne? Your 'takeaway" after these interviews--to be more attentive to people and listen more closely to their needs--while networking is very valuable self advice. Best, Emily