Friday, November 16, 2018

23A- Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage


Assignment 23A- Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage
1. Uniqueness of the venture: There is not a product that is similar to mine on the market.
  • Valuable: This is very valuable if I want to gain a good customer base.
  • Rare: The product is rare although a lot of other products do not have competitors.
  • Inimitable: It is possible that someone could copy the idea for my product.
  • Non-substitutable: I could come up with a similar idea and it gains success.
2. Social Capital: Contact with college students
  • Valuable: Their input and experience with skin care products could give me insight into what would make my product marketable.
  • Rare: It is easy to get into contact with college students to ask them about the products they use.
  • Inimitable: These experiences/input cannot be imitated by anyone since they are personal interviews.
  • Non-substitutable: This cannot be substituted.
3. Personal Relationships with entrepreneurs: My cousin is an entrepreneur and gives me tips sometimes.
  • Valuable: It is valuable that I can speak to someone everyday about business ideas
  • Rare: I could find other entrepreneurs to talk with
  • Inimitable: My relationship with my cousin cannot be imitated
  • Non-substitutable: I cannot substitute a relationship with someone else
4. Social Capital: Engineer: I could use my chemical engineering contact to help me create the product
  • Valuable: This helps me figure out how to design my skin care product.
  • Rare: It is not hard to find chemical engineers.
  • Inimitable: This would be easy to copy, it is just a matter of connecting with engineers.
  • Non-substitutable: I could substitute the engineer.
5.  Social Capital: Dermatologist: I could talk to my local dermatologist about this venture
  • Valuable: The dermatologist would help me figure out what is missing in the skin care field
  • Rare: It is not hard to find dermatologists
  • Inimitable: This would be easy to copy.
  • Non-substitutable: I could replace the dermatologist, but not his exact knowledge.
6. Social Capital: Marketing student: I could have my marketing friend help me market my product
  • Valuable: He will provide me with the tips needed to market my product successfully.
  • Rare: This is not too rare.
  • Inimitable: I could definitely copy this.
  • Non-substitutable: Anyone could find a marketer.
7. Publicity: Skin care has recently become a growing trend amongst young adults
  • Valuable: Media is valuable if I want my product to sell itself.
  • Rare: It is rare that skin care gets publicity. 
  • Inimitable: It is important that I set myself apart from competitors so that I cannot be inimitable.
  • Non-substitutable: I could do advertising myself, but there is already buzz about skin care routines.
8. Social Capital: Business Background: Having a business background will give me an advantage over other ventures
  • Valuable: I believe it is valuable to have a business background when starting a new business.
  • Rare: It is not too rare for someone to have business experience.
  • Inimitable: Unless someone also business experience, they cannot copy this.
  • Non-substitutable: The contacts I make cannot be substitutable unless they knew the same people as I do.
9. Public Speaking Experience: I have had a lot of experience speaking in public.
  • Valuable: I can use these skills to sell my product.
  • Rare: This is not rare, anyone can develop this skill.
  • Inimitable: This could be imitated, besides from the exact experience I have.
  • Non-substitutable: You cannot substitute this.
10. Fundraising Experience: I have worked on projects where I had to raise money for organizations
  • Valuable: This is very valuable when starting up a business.
  • Rare: This is not rare.
  • Inimitable: It depends on the individual’s drive to fundraise.
  • Non-substitutable: I could hire someone to fundraise.

After doing the VRIN analysis, I think I would use the Dermatologist and the Chemical engineer. These two people are fundamental in creating my product. I think these two people would be part of my secret sauce. Also, using someone with an expertise in marketing would help my product get out there.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ramar,

    It sounds like you have some valuable human capital. I think it would be great to have experts in the field support your company. You could possibly give them a small slice of equity to create the product and to become brand ambassadors. I think fundraising experience and public speaking skills will come in handy. Good work.

    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ramar,
    It looks like you've done some thorough VRIN analyzing. All of the skills you recognized here will no doubt be very helpful to you in you skin care venture. I agree that it will be very helpful to tap the resources of you marketing friend, as well as enlisting the expertise of a dermatologist and a chemical engineer. It looks likey ou're on the right track. Best, Emily

    ReplyDelete